Chimney Cleaning & Sweeping
- Chimney Cap Installation
- Chimney Damper Installation
- Chimney Liner Installation
- Chimney Liners
- Chimney Relining
- Crown Replacement
- Chimney Restoration
- Chimney Sealing & Resurfacing
- Chimney Fireplace Repair FAQs
- Fireplace Repair
- Fireplace Screens
- Fireplace Spark Arrestors
- Leaky Chimney
- Masonry Services
- Top Mounted Energy Efficient Dampers
Dryer Vent Cleaning
Fireplace screens serve many purposes. If your fireplace does not have a screen or glass door, you probably want to think about getting one for safety reasons. They come in a variety of sizes and styles, and they are easy to install and maintain.
We offer a wide selection of fireplace screens for any type of firebox or stove insert. The experts at 2nd Generation Chimneys are always glad to provide you with information about all of your options. Find out why more of our customers in the Minneapolis area rely on us to help them make informed decisions on purchasing any of our products. Don’t forget that we offer annual sweeping services, inspections, repairs, masonry restoration, and fireplace and stove installation services. Call today and let us know how we can serve you.
Advantages of Fireplace Screens
Aside from the aesthetic quality of many fireplace screens and doors, they serve important safety functions that many people forget about. This is why it is good to have a screen that is in good condition covering the opening in your fireplace.
Here are some of the reasons to keep your fireplace covered:
- Child safety: One of the more common burn injuries with children were caused by an uncovered fireplace. Many children are curious and unaware of the dangers of an open fire, especially younger children. If you have children, a fireplace screen is vital for their safety.
- Smoke stains: Even if you have proper ventilation in your flue, smoke can sometimes get into the home and stain your ceilings and walls. While a metal screen or curtain will not prevent this, a glass door or cover will seal off your fireplace, which helps with draft issues as well. Ash can sometimes get blown onto the floor or furniture and cause stains.
- Preventing drafts and heat loss: Fireplace screens and doors will prevent sudden drafts from blowing embers into the room, and the more efficient doors can also improve the efficiency of your fireplace or insert.
- Floor protection: Whether you have carpet or wood floors, sparks and embers from a wood burning fireplace can cause burn marks or even cause fires if they hit drapes or furniture.
- Home décor: Of course there is the extra benefit of adding some decoration to your fireplace and hearth. If you choose a stained glass door, make sure you ask a professional if the glass is durable enough to withstand the heat from your fireplace. Some glass–paneled doors do not work with certain types of fireplaces.
Hearth Fenders & Bowed Screens
While there are a multitude of different styles of screens, hearth fenders and bowed screens are some of the more popular screens. Homeowners tend to choose fender screens because of their "fender" design and added protection. Bowed screens add depth to the hearth and provide full protection around the fireplace. Call us if you want to know more about the screens that we offer.
Glass Paneled Doors
Glass paneled screens are ideal for inserts and gas logs to help protect you from the gases produced by the fuel. They also help minimize drafts and heat loss. When your fireplace is not in use, they can also keep out the cold or heat. They come in various colors and designs, but most importantly, the type of glass should be able to withstand the heat from a wood burning fireplace or gas logs. Some prefabricated fireplaces are manufactured with a glass covering that cannot be removed except for cleaning purposes. If you are purchasing a new glass door for your fireplace, make sure to ask about which one works best for your fuel type. Check with your manufacturer or call us if you have any questions so that you can help prevent fire hazards.
Fireplace Screen Experts
The qualified technicians at 2nd Generation are always glad to help you choose the best screen for your particular fireplace and hearth. For fireplace screens in the Twin Cities area, call us any time to discuss your options.