When the holiday season comes around, it’s more important than ever to make sure that your chimney is clean—and not just because you want to impress Santa Claus. When you use your fireplace, creosote gets left behind in the chimney. This tarlike black substance isn’t just unpleasant for Santa to look at; it’s also very dangerous if left unchecked.
The Dangers of Creosote
During the holidays, you are more likely to use your fireplace as your guests and loved ones gather around in your living room to open presents, share stories, or huddle under blankets while watching a movie. In fact, some homeowners only use their fireplace and chimney during the holiday season, which may lead them to believe their fireplace is relatively clean.
However, any fireplace, no matter how often it gets used, should get cleaned out and inspected by a professional each year before it is in use again. The byproducts of combustion combine with water vapor to form creosote, which is highly flammable. If this substance ignites within your chimney, the consequences could be detrimental.
Schedule Chimney Cleaning and Inspection Today
Get creosote and other debris out of your chimney and put it out of your mind when you schedule chimney cleaning with a certified chimney sweep. Make sure that the person you hire is qualified for the job. An amateur chimney sweep may brush over some crucial parts of the job, so do research before selecting your technician for references and the proper certifications.
No matter how often you use your chimney, a professional inspection and a thorough cleaning is worth the time and effort. As long as you use your chimney properly this holiday season, burning only seasoned wood and keeping the tree and any large debris away from the chimney, you are well on your way to a safe and joyous holiday celebration.
2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc. offers chimney inspection and cleaning in Minneapolis, MN. Call us today! 612.922.9600 or 1-888-PIXLEYS