As we head into warmer temperatures, many people are shifting their focus from the indoors to the outdoors. However, spring offers a great time to schedule a chimney inspection for your Roseville, MN, home, especially for those who use their chimney and fireplaces heavily during the winter months. So to answer the question, “do all chimneys need inspection?” the answer is a resounding yes. It doesn’t matter if you have a pre-fab chimney, use a pellet stove with low ash or use your chimney only a few times a year: you’ll need your chimney inspected. And the best people to inspect and clean your chimney are trained experts, like the ones at 2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc.
Why Do I Need to Inspect My Chimney?
There are multiple reasons why you need to have your chimney inspected:
- Home insurance coverage – some policies require that homes with working chimneys have annual chimney inspections to keep the policy in force.
- Safety issues – a fireplace and/or chimney that is in disrepair or in need of cleaning can be a dangerous one.
- Reduce and avoid corrosion of your fireplace and flue – combustion by products such as ash, soot and creosote are highly acidic and eat away at masonry and metal. An annual inspection and cleaning removes these acidic byproducts, keeping your chimney in good working order.
- Reduce the chance of a chimney fire developing – creosote, a combustion byproduct that coats the inside of chimneys, is highly flammable; as such, your chimney shouldn’t have more than 1/8th of an inch build-up of creosote. Annual inspection and cleaning help keep the creosote build-up in your chimney low.
- Improves operation and efficiency – chimneys do two things at the same time: they vent and expel combustion byproducts and they help bring oxygen to the fire; when your chimney is dirty, it can’t do these two things properly.
There’s a lot of “rule of thumb” kind of information around about chimney inspection and cleaning, but many of these pieces of advice aren’t correct.
If you have questions about how to maintain your chimney in Roseville, MN, call the people you can trust: 2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc.