A common misconception homeowners believe about their chimneys and fireplaces is that they require little to no maintenance. This can unfortunately be a very dangerous mistake to make. Creosote is a real threat, and can not only cause a chimney fire but can also have adverse effects on your health. This substance is a dark brown oil distilled from coal tar that builds up within your chimney.
What Are the Risks?
Deposits of creosote build up on your chimney’s interior, and if they are ignited they will cause a serious chimney fire. Creosote deposits burn at a very high temperature, and depending on how much of it there is, they can cause a very intense and destructive fire. This type of fire damages your chimney to the point that it is no longer safe, plus of course there is a very high risk of setting the entire building on fire.
Your chance of experiencing a chimney fire of this kind is dependent on many factors: the material your chimney is constructed of, the temperature of the fires lit below it, it’s location, and—most importantly—the condition of your chimney. Naturally, a higher amount of accumulated creosote deposits will increase your risk of a chimney fire.
What Can I Do?
There are some conditions that make it easier for creosote to accumulate. For example, your chimney may have improper airflow, or you could be using the wrong type of wood or wood that hasn’t had time to dry. A professional technician will be able to perform a full inspection to spot any problems. But more importantly, you should schedule regular chimney sweeping so that technicians can remove dangerous creosote buildup.
Call 2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc. today for chimney sweeping services in Minneapolis, MN.
612.922.9600 or 1-888-PIXLEYS