Because people often have an old-fashioned image of soot-covered men with brooms in Victorian London in their mind when they hear “chimney sweeping,” they often dismiss this job as old-fashioned and unnecessary. But chimney sweeping is just another way of saying “chimney cleaning,” and this is absolutely something a chimney needs to receive on a regular basis.
We offer chimney sweeping in Plymouth, MN and throughout the Twin Cities, and we’d like to take this opportunity to give you a short primer on just what chimney sweeping is and why it’s important.
The Purpose of Chimney Sweeping
- Fire Safety: The accumulation of creosote and soot in the chimney increases the risk of chimney fires. By cleaning out these deposits, our chimney sweeps will significantly reduce the chances of a house fire.
- Efficiency: A clean chimney allows for proper ventilation for the best airflow and combustion. This, in turn, means you’ll have an efficient fireplace that returns you more heat from the fuel it burns.
- Prevention of Blockages: Nests, leaves, twigs, and other debris can get into the chimney over time and create blockages. Regular sweeping prevents these blockages and makes the chimney more efficient and stops harmful gases from entering your house.
- Early Problem Detection of Issues: During the inspection process, our chimney sweeps may spot potential problems: cracks, deterioration, or other structural issues. You can have these repaired before they become serious problems.
How Chimney Sweeping Is Done
- First, we start with an inspection of the chimney. We’re not just looking at the extent of buildup, but also for signs of cracks or other damage that may need repairs. This is known as a Level 1 inspection.
- Second, before we can start sweeping, we have to take precautions to protect the area with barriers and drop cloths. Sweeping can be pretty messy, and we plan to leave your house clean!
- Third, we do the actual sweeping. We use the best specialized brushes and rods to thoroughly clean the chimney interior and remove all the debris we dislodge.
- Finally, we do a post-sweep inspection. This is to make sure we’ve done a thorough job, as well as to uncover any damage that the buildup may have obscured before.
How Often to Schedule Chimney Sweeping
This depends on several factors, such as the fuel burned and how often you use your fireplace. A good rule of thumb is to call us to inspect your chimney once a year (right before winter is best), and we can tell you if the chimney needs to be swept and give advice about how often to schedule it.
Call Us for Great Chimney Sweeping!
If you have a fireplace, please don’t overlook the importance of chimney sweeping. It’s the most effective and efficient way to ensure that your fireplace remains safe to use and will last for a long time. Only hire professional chimney sweeps—and you’re already at the right place for the best chimney sweeps around.
2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc. serves Minneapolis, St. Paul and the Surrounding Communities. Contact us today to arrange for chimney sweeping services.