At 2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc., we are committed to your comfort and, more importantly, your safety. In order to ensure both of these things, there are a few things you should know about your fireplace and chimney.
- A dirty chimney is more dangerous than you might think. When combustible deposits like creosote end up in the lining of your chimney, even a small amount can become dangerous. A fire can spread quickly if there is too much creosote in your chimney lining, which is why professional cleanings are so important.
- A technician should inspect and clean your chimney and fireplace every year. No matter how often you use your fireplace, and no matter what condition you try to keep it in, your chimney should be cleaned every year. Lots of debris can build up in a chimney over the year, and you don’t want to take a chance on structural damages that could allow fires to spread.
- Dry, seasoned firewood is the only thing that’s safe to burn. This means that you should never burn newspaper, trash, or any firewood that has not had time to dry, as this can allow for a faster rate of creosote buildup.
- A fireguard is a simple installation that protects the rooms in your home. You should never have a fire going without the screen in front of your fireplace, as this can allow ash and embers to blow into your home.
- A common mistake is leaving the damper closed. When homeowners light their fireplaces for the first time in the winter, they’ll get a startling surprise if they don’t open up the damper. Closing it makes your home more energy efficient when you’re not using your fireplace, but forgetting to open it before using the fireplace sends smoke right back into your home.
2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc. is committed to your safety. Get in touch for fireplace and chimney services in Minneapolis. Call us today! 612.922.9600 or 1-888-PIXLEYS