Tell us if this tale sounds familiar.
There is a lovely home on a quiet cul-de-sac that is older than its residents. During winter, a steady plume of smoke can be seen rising from the chimney of this home as the family often gathers around their fireplace to enjoy a quiet evening together in warmth and comfort. That is until one night you hear the sound of sirens as an ambulance and firetrucks come racing onto your street and you see your neighbors outside of their beloved home, coughing strongly.
Honestly, we hope this scene is one you’ve neither seen nor experienced because it is the result of a fireplace that went without necessary care and ended up endangering the lives of its residents.
It is good to know that dangerous situations with your home chimney are avoidable thanks to available chimney repair in St. Paul, MN offered by our team of professionals.
A chimney of any age needs to be maintained and checked for problems regularly. The last thing anyone wants is to turn on their fireplace and start feeling sick within moments. This is one of the many reasons that getting regular maintenance, and addressing repairs quickly, is a great idea.
After all, ignoring repair needs can quickly become dangerous such as in the examples below.
Delayed Tuckpointing Becomes Chimney Collapse
The mortar joints between the bricks in your chimney need repair, known as tuckpointing. Without this repair, your chimney becomes susceptible to water damage and eventual collapse if allowed to go without repair for long enough.
A Cracked Crown Creates Debris Build-Up
The crown on your chimney keeps out critters and debris. But yours is cracked. This means that the next time that big mama bird decides to make a nest on your chimney, there are a lot of contaminants that will be making their way into your chimney and your fireplace, creating a fire risk.
Chimney Liner Cracks Cause a Fire
You haven’t checked your chimney liner in a while and in that time it has warped and cracked. This allows creosote to get through and get caught in your chimney’s masonry which will eventually catch fire.
Carbon Monoxide Fills the Room Because of a Broken Damper
Before lighting a fire in your fireplace you always need to check that the damper is open. If your damper is stuck or the handle is broken, this means the smoke from the fire, filled with dangerous gases like carbon monoxide, has nowhere to go other than into your home.
Avoid the Danger; Check Your Chimney
At the end of the day, it is always better to double-check your chimney for potential repair needs. If you aren’t sure what to look for, make things easier on yourself (and safer), by reaching out to the professionals at 2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc. Our trained experts will be able to give your chimney the care it needs to keep it in good working order and protect you, your loved ones, and your home.
Contact 2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc. today to schedule your next service appointment. Call now and enjoy a warm home tonight.